Saturday, September 11, 2010

Tokyo shopping

I am always asked where one should go for shopping when in Tokyo.

Rather than the small streets of Harajuku to Omotesando where they do have the best boutiques in the world, I always resort to the department stores. I never have time to go to the small streets as I always MUST get my hair cut and eye lashes permed within the three days that I'm usually in Tokyo, so the convenience really helps. On top of that, there's nobody shopping these days anyway, so you get the entire place to yourself, even in dead center Tokyo!

My favorite these days are Marubiru (Marunouchi Building) and Shinmaru (New Marunouchi Building) in Tokyo Station (the convenience!). FYI, if you face the two buildings with Tokyo Station on your back, the one on the left is more affordable.

I bought the shoes from the previous post, as well as these brown shoes that are from an all made in Japan shoe store called Barclay. I also picked up this blue Paul & Joe skirt and two casual jackets, all in Marunouchi.


Another favorite is Ebisu's Atre. Pricing is completely reasonable and it is best for picking up small items like bags and hair pieces.

Other nice places are Mitsukoshi and Matsuya in Ginza (Mitsukoshi is crowded), Seibu in Shibuya, and and for men the best place is probably Isetan in Shinjuku.

If you want something more high end, Roppongi Hills is always nice. If you want to go cheaper, Marui department stores are everywhere.

I must say, deflation has done so well for shopping in Tokyo that now is absolutely the time to visit! It's literally less than half the price when I used to live there until 5 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment