Saturday, August 21, 2010

Cahor Wine


Cahor was one of the town closeby from Martignac. We visited a very nice winery, guided by a Scottish who aspired to make a vinyard in Scottland but decided to be smart and come to France. He gave us a generous portion of wine tasting (like 10 glasses!) so we bought a generous amount of bottles.

It was such a nice day.


Their major export bottle is called Probus which is 80% Malbec and some Merlot that I liked, but I bought back the Black Wine and a sweet white wine.

The story behind Black Wine is that it's made the same way as from midieval time like in the picture below, in particular the fermentation process. It tastes quite soft while the aroma is that of a very nice Malbec... and obviously it looks quite black hence the name.


The sweet white wine I bought back is named Moelleux Du Clos made like an aperitif wine. Fermentation is done under a low temperature so that the sugar level is maximized. Both black wine and this white wine I think are very girly drinks, which goes well with my taste.

I like that French wine will not allow adding contents and processing (sugar, vinegar, etc.), and it's all about the soil of the grapes. It's very old school, and this vinyard too had roses planted at the end of the rows of grapes so as to quickly notice any changes with the soil.


I think many have an impression of Malbec being Argentinian, but the Scottish man told me that in a competition Argentinian wine compares nothing to these Cahor wine. It also occured to me that there is generally much greater acknowledgement from abroad for Bordeaux wine in this area, which I thought makes Cahor wine less proud and diligent wineries.

No comments:

Post a Comment