Monday, January 3, 2011

Kakizome


For the Japanese, new year is very sacred that compares to Christmas in the West. Being in San Francisco, we did not get to go to a shrine or temple to toss a coin and make a wish for the year, which usually gives us a feel of a fresh new start for the year. Instead, my sister and I did Japanese calligraphy or kakizome to get into the mood.

I haven't held a calligraphy brush since elementary school, and it really made me nervous! You have to sort of be in the Zen mode, but the worry of messing it was really something inexplicable. It's such a simple act - just writing - so you have to put in your entire soul in it.


Embarassing embarassing. The messy ones are all mine! I never received any "gold" prize in elementary school. Honestly, the only decent one from me (I think!) was the character "慶" that we use to express congratulations for super special occasions (like new year). But it's my name that I've been signing papers for the last 20 years.


It was also fun writing our names in hiragana. It truly gives an excuse to be creative... in the manner of Michio Aida.


... and of course we can use the black ink to paint something like ukiyoe or a half-hearted attempt of it.


I wish I had a red stamp (what do you call it?) of your seal or signature to make these work look "real"...

No comments:

Post a Comment