Thursday, January 21, 2010

Jakarta Fashion Week

Last November, Jakarta had its second ever Fashion Week, held during the week of November 11-14th. I love that Jakarta would have such an event, and that Jakartans are incredibly conscious of fashion. The ritzy malls are always thriving with girls carrying Chanel bags (not sure if authentic) strutting in front of (but not inside) Harvey Nichols and Christian Louboutin.

My overall impression of this Fashion Week was that it was great fun. It's extremely approachable unlike the Paris or NY fashion shows. While it says invite only on Wikipedia, my friends and I easily self-invited ourselves. If anything, the only scary part is that once you are emersed in Jakarta's crazy over-the-top fashion, you get so used to it that nothing is enough!

I always ponder whether Jakarta's OTT mode is coming from true artistry, local taste, or some negligance? In the fashion shows, many of the clothing were heavy sparkles, on sequins, on a golden fabric, made into a flower shape, pasted on a rainbow colored dress. I would someday like to figure out why it is so over the top (yet completely wearable, so you would actually see people in them at regular events)... or the moment I figure out will be when I have already adjusted my views?

No comments:

Post a Comment