Friday, January 22, 2010

Ernesto Neto

I don’t even know where to begin with his work. Ernesto Neto! It’s just so oooozy and gives you a feeling that you will have to hold off on what you immediately want to say. Then you see the humanoids (immediately below), and then feel relieved – thank goodness he can be funny too! I just laugh at how you can both sit and stand in these marshmallows – it’s up to the user, how thoughtful!

I actually don’t remember where I saw Neto’s work first. I feel like I saw it at a gallery in NYC, but wouldn’t be so sure. Maybe I only saw it in a book? After that first encounter, my friend with whom I love frequenting any galleries of which art work you can lightly comment on, and with whom I first saw him, and I are haunted by the image of these natto like… objects. I am waiting to see how I should interact with Neto – would I have this installation in my future house, or would I just sleep in the humanoids in my future life… or would I choose to stay away and see it only once in a while to attain maximum stimulus? Oh I am so obsessed!

Here are some other links:

Photo credit: designboom.

1 comment: