Saturday, November 6, 2010

Ryuichi Sakamoto's North America Tour 2010


Right this moment, there's a real-time live of Sakamoto's North America tour. I heard this is a one-off event (no recordings - but of course there's youtube), so that everyone has to tune in like, NOW. It gives me such a nostalgic feeling of my university days when and where I could encounter these kind of cool events quite often including a visit by Sakamoto.

Sakamoto is a musician and composer who uses a lot of computer music type sound in his composition that is easy and dramatic to one's ear. His piano playing is not classical yet he can provoke millions.

His music gives me a similar feeling as visiting a MOMA. It's less about the obvious technique or historical explanation of music, but more about space and the mix of different sounds, with the piano as the major instrument giving an earthy feeling too.

OMG. Now he's playing the Last Emperor, and now I can really feel why people go so crazy over him. I am getting multiple flashbacks of the little boy as the last emperor playing with his little tamamushi (the green, jewel looking bettle) in the grandiose palace that is about to be taken over.

Below is a more recent composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment