Thursday, February 18, 2010

Denis Matsuev and James Gaffigan

I arrived in DC yesterday, and I couldn't resist going to the Kennedy Center already. It was such a special treat for me. This concert had two big pieces, both Rachmaninoff's No.2 Concerto and Tchaikovsky's No. 4 Symphony (I just read that Rachmaninoff composed this when he was 28 years old. Unbelievable!).

The pianist Gaffigan was the winner of the Tchaikovsky competition from 1998, and the conductor a very popular up-and coming American. The contrast of the monster-looking Russian on the piano vs. the tiny young American conductor added to the entertainment.

Between the two, I would usually comment on the pianist, but something was very comical about the conductor. He was doing a mini dance on the stage, and especially that I couldn't see from the back, he looked like he was not conducting but simply moving his bod.

I found his blog. He hasn't written much about the performance tonight, but it would be interesting to see what he has to say after a concert you see. I really liked his improvisation and ease of conducting.

Tonight was a very a nice introduction to my 7 weeks of stay in DC. Cannot wait for more!

Photo credit: artists' official websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment