Tuesday, February 16, 2010

SFMOMA's 75th Anniversary

Today, I had the best SFMOMA experience ever. The museum is celebrating its 75th anniversary, and exhibiting their strongest pieces and those with stories that contributed to building the museum.

The first piece I liked was this very happy wall paper of the different phases of the sun.

This one below was a series of shooting the same four women over a period of 25 years. My sister especially liked it, as you could definitely see that these four women had each gone through a different life and aged differently. One woman seemed to especially age fast.

Then there was this piece of everyone emitting thoughts to create this black cloud. I tried to emit one as well but mine didn't show.

Of course, we cannot ignore MJ. This piece intentionally mixed up his right hand and the monkey's right leg, perhaps to show the close connection between the two. I didn't know this was such a famous piece. My sister insisted that she saw it in her textbook from middle school. The background is a separate piece and is not connected to MJ.

I also liked this high heel painting. It is an oil painting. I was surprised how pretty it came out in this photo, despite the dirt and the not so nice state of the foot.

And now a few funny photos...


Paris in the Spring

From the series Parking Lots

I feel this photo series from 1999 of the various parking lots is the most incredibly useless work by Ed Ruscha. I remember seeing this special exhibition somewhere else and reading the comments that the oil dirty parking spots are those being most heavily used - which are usually closer to the building. How truly insightful! And yet, I remember this series well...

Finally, a self portrait off of a golden fish statue.

No comments:

Post a Comment