Friday, February 5, 2010

Van Cliburn

You will die when you hear this. Whether it is because I am emotionally attached to Beethoven’s film Immortal Beloved, or because Cliburn has the JFK hair, I do not know. But I decided that this is the most beautiful youtube video as of now (sorry Evgeny Kissin, you are still my favorite pianist).

Second movement from the Beethoven Piano Concerto No.1


I first got to know about Van Cliburn through the Van Cliburn Competition, in which a friend from my music school, Andrew Armstrong entered as the youngest performer and received the Juror Discretionary Award. That is when I learned that this competition is as prestigious as the Tchaikovsky Competition in Russia, in which Cliburn won the first year during the Cold War.
The story is that Cliburn as an American was so good but that the US-Russia were in such a state that the judges had to ask the Soviet leader Khrushchev if it were ok to give Cliburn first prize. Apprently it went,

"Is he the best?" "Then give him the prize!"

I couldn't imagine Russians not recognizing and rewarding the best in the area of art anyway, but funny conversation. After all, the Tchaikovsky Competition sometimes would not give out the first prize!
By the way, as is very obvious from the clip, Cliburn had gigantic hands that could reach extreme chords. He plays the Rachmaninoch Piano Conerto No. 2 with such incredible ease. Past 7 minutes in, I cannot stop headbanging.

The Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.1 is also one of my favorites.
Apparently, Cliburn has been playing for every single President (other than Obama). How truly lucky of them Presidents!

No comments:

Post a Comment